Sunday, February 24, 2008

Another Epic Day


We got on the mountain at 9:00 to try to find some untracked powder. It snowed another 2+ over night. But all I could find was condensation in between the lenses of my goggles this is not good I was skiing visually impaired. After 5 runs I was ready to pack it in. With the help of the hand dryer in the bathroom I was able to heat up the lenses enough to get the condensation to evaporate. My day was saved. No pictures or video for you today it was dumping so hard you would have only seen big white dots. I was ready to hang it up again when we ran into a friend that talked us into going over to Dipper chair. When we got to the top a patrolman was tuning the sign to open Mott’s Canyon. I screamed and we headed down to the gate. By the time I got there he was dropping the rope and I was the 4th person in. Mott’s is the steepest vertical we have at Heavenly. As I crested over the edge of the first shoot there was no stopping and I dropped in. The bottom gave out on me and the world turned white as the snow barreled over my head. I had to concentrate on my breathing blow out as you dive under so the snow doesn’t get into your mouth and choke you, breath in when you rise up to make another turn. I was the first chick on sticks to the bottom of the chair and first in my group. The snow was typical sierra snow heavy and deep so many people were digging themselves out. We all have to pay our dues sometime and let me tell you I have spend my days digging too. By 2:30 I was cooked and headed to the lodge to warm up and find my ski buddy that had packed it in a few runs early because I was lapping him in Motts while he dug himself out, “no friends on a powder day” we headed down the mountain to get in at 4:00 I made it all day 7 hours with only a few breaks. What a season. I think we are at the peek for snow but they are calling for more next weekend. Bring it on this is the best year of my life in so many ways!

No comments: